Saturday 29 September 2012

Sunflower Painting Party






Last night was a fun Painting Party.  I am always amazed by how well all of our guests do.  Especially the ones that have no prior art experience.  This just confirms my long held belief that everyone can learn how to draw, paint, etc. just by learning the techniques and rules.  Just like learning how to ride a bike or drive car, there are certain techniques and rules needed to be successful.

Earlier in the week, I spent about 2 hours prepping the canvases.  They required some texture.  I used molding paste and a couple of different stencils to achieve the dots and circles.  All I did was lay the stencil on the canvas, applied the molding paste over the stencil, pulled the stencil off and voila...texture!  If you didn't have stencils you could use your fingers, a palette knife, the end of a pencil, etc. to make texture.

Using molding paste on your walls could be very nice as well.  Imagine stenciling a damask pattern, stripes, checkers, etc.  Painting over the wall with color, then waxing it to make it shine.  Beautiful!

Anyways, the ladies seemed to like the texture on their canvas.  I tend to be a texture person.  I find that it's a great way to add interest to your canvas.  Your painting isn't boring, that is for sure.

We began with the background, which is typical for artist.  Working from the background to the foreground helps to create depth.  I showed students how to go from dark to light using three values of the blue and then blending them.  They started with a dark blue, added a tiny bit of white to some of the paint for a medium blue, and then finally more white for the light value.  Then they tackled the petals, painting the ones behind before the ones on top.  Basically we painted the petal yellow, added some white to show the light source, and some brown at the base.  I showed them how to use their brushes to achieve a point at the tip of the petal, and how to use the flat side of the brush to blend.  Finally, we created a green for the middle of the center (using black and yellow which I just learned about from one of my guests), then a light beige color was painted around that, and then dark brown/black was painted around that.  To blend those three sections we took the brown and beige together on our brushes, and pounced over the whole center so that we could still see the underneath colors slightly.  Then we took some brown and black on our brushes and pounced around the outer edge of the center.  Finally we added a touch of shiny pink to the center which added a little pizzazz.

I believe that the ladies all went home happy with their accomplishment and intend on hanging their masterpieces on their walls at home or give them as a gift to someone special.  This gives me great satisfaction knowing that the paintings are not put in a closet somewhere - never seeing the light of day.

The next Painting Party is scheduled for December.  It's Starry Night.  Can't wait!


Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Matthew 11:28-29

No comments:

Post a Comment