Friday 6 July 2012

WINNER OF THE BEST OVERALL FLOAT IN THE FOURTH OF JULY PARADE





The making of a float…

This is the third year in a row that I have won the Best Overall Float in the fourth of July parade in Friendswood.  This year the theme was “The Sounds of Freedom.”  I decided to take a risk and do the opposite:   “Freedom’s Silence.” You never know what you are competing against in this type of competition.  But I need to tell you, for me, what is more important then winning the float competition is the excitement of putting a float together, and the smiles and emotion that the floats tend to bring to onlookers faces.

Starting with a basic trailer provided to me, I had my husband build up the sides for safety of the people riding in it, and also for a place to write the name of the float.



What was I going to put on my float to represent Freedom’s Silence?  Of course the image of military crosses came to mind immediately.  So I cut up a bunch of crosses out of white foam core board.  I needed a place to put the crosses so I had my husband rig up a t-pee looking structure complete with slots for each cross.  This was going to be the focal point of the float, and for added height, I included an eagle to represent peace.



I then thought that I could represent the five divisions of the military somehow, and after much consideration, decided to use foam core board to cut out an image of a boat, tank, guns, and jets.  Extra large of course.  My husband suggested that I put the images straight up and down in the corners like flags, but once they were up, it was obvious that they needed to be put on a slant to help give the float some movement.

For fillers, I made a whole bunch of stars in many different shapes and forms and added them here and there where there was a need.


Finally I wanted flags, and I asked my son, two neighbors, and two students to participate by holding them while wearing army gear.  Once the men were on the float, I immediately knew that the float was done.  The men gave the float an incredible sense of strength and substance.

 My Grandson told me I won be cause I used my imagination, he was right and so proud!
Accepting the win from the City of Friendswood!
The project took many, many, many hours to complete, but it was so worth the effort.  Thank you to all the men and women who have chosen to defend the U.S.A.’s freedom!

2 comments: