Sunday 5 August 2012

Third Layer - Owl Journal Page







This week I thought that I would tackle the metal owl that I started way back at the beginning of this blog.  I have been struggling as to what I was going to do with it, but today, I thought, is the day.  So off I went and collected metal objects around the house to add/embellish the owl. 


Overall, I just wanted to build on what I had already.  I found washers, nails, metal buttons, tacks, wire, strip of metal with holes punched into it (not sure what my husband uses it for), metallic looking cd’s, metallic looking circles used for crafts, foil, and mesh wiring.  Not knowing where to start I just started with the eyes.  That was easy considering owl eyes are round.  I put a circle of gold foil underneath them to accent them.

With regards to the washers, cd’s, and anything else metal, you can decorate them using, nail polish, embossing powder, and enamel paints.  All of which I just happen to have at my disposal.  You do not need to prepare the metal for nail polish or enamel paint, but when you use embossing powders, you will use a embossing stamp pad prior to the powders.  Rub the embossing stamp pad on the metal, shake the powder on top, then heat with a heat gun.  When you see the powder melting, you are done.  You can blend colors with all of the above.  You are limited by your imagination.
 





Cutting metal is easy.  All that you need is a metal cutter available at any hardware store.  I put the mesh wire on top of the owl and used a sharpie to outline the shape of the owl’s tummy.  I then simply cut out the shape and attached it to the page.





As for glue, you can use E6000 on metal.  I used ‘kids choice glue’ on my page.  It worked really well.

Wire is versatile.  I wound a beak for the owl using a 24 gauge wire available at the hardware store.  You can use anything for the armature.  I used a piece of cardboard that I shaped into the beak and just wrapped the wire around it.  I’ve seen some pretty spectacular art pieces made out of wire that is for sure.

I just happened to have some foil that was gold on one side and silver on the other, so I cut out some circles, halved them, and alternated them starting at the bottom of the wings and working my way upward.

The word ‘breath’ was made with another piece of foil that was black on one side and silver on the other.  I turned the piece over on the silver side, used a pointy object to write the word BACKWARDS, then turned it back to the black side, and used some sandpaper to enhance the word ‘breath.’  Rub the sandpaper gently over the word.

The tail of the owl is a cd which is very easily cut into whatever shape you want, using a utility knife or metal cutters, and then I painted it with nail polish.

PROMPT

Lying.  Can’t stand it.  I am pretty sure that no one has been able to get through life without lying about something.  It is soooooooo destructive!

Not surprising, I have been a victim of being lied to.    Someone I knew was such a liar that he would tell a lie even if the truth would have been less damaging.  He lied just because that’s what he did.  Some would call him a compulsive liar.  The problem with telling lies is that more than likely, sooner or later the truth comes out which is immediately followed by a lack of trust towards anything that person says to you in the future.  It takes a very long time before you can trust that other person again…if ever!

I don’t want to be that person that isn’t trusted.  It is so much easier to just say the truth, be dealt the consequences, and move forward.  Why live in a lie.  How can you be true to yourself or others if you lie even a little white lie.  How can you become who you are suppose to become if you are not real.

Ask yourself…what is the worst that can happen if you tell the truth?  Then ask yourself, what if your lie is uncovered?  Are the people affected by the lie not worthy of the truth?  Do you want others to think negatively of you?

You think that your lies won’t affect others, but even if you are not found out, you know what you have done and is that really who you want to be?  A liar?

Don’t think that you are protecting others if you lie.  The simple truth is that you degrade people by lying to them.

I so want to encourage you to be truthful.  You owe it to yourself and to others...Embrace yourself.

Believe it or not, we really do care about you.

 
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace to the hearers.

Ephesians 4:29


No comments:

Post a Comment